Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Magnetic bookmark

Today's Serendipity Stamps design team challenge is to create bookmarks stamped and embellished with Serendipity Stamps. The stamp I used for my bookmark is a new design. It is titled STAMP OF APPROVAL and is catalogue number: 1205E I thought this bookmark would be a fun end of school year project for teachers to either have their class create or even perhaps teachers might like to give them out as summer reading incentives. These magnetic bookmarks really hold the pages in place to mark your spot and don't fall out easily.



I stamped on shiney metalic blue cardstock with Versamark and heat embossed the image using white ultra fine embossing powder. Next I cut the image out with a small circle die and matted it on a larger gold circle cardstock. Next I used the pointy circle nestibilities circle die (wow...say that three times fast!) to create the points.

Now that I have the top circle (it is merely three circles adhered together) I attached a small magnet to the back. Then I cut a strip of metalic blue cardstock 8 1/2" by 1 1/2" wide and scored it in the center and folded it. This is the body of the bookmark that will slip between the pages of your book. I stamped the front with "Enjoy!" (Serendipity stamp 1206B) and embossed with white ultra fine embossing powder.

Now the bookmark is ready to assemble and insert in your book. Attach the circles to the top of the front of your bookmark. Turn your bookmark over and on the back attach the second part of the magnet. It isn't hard to perfectly line up the magnets because they are quite powerful magnets, despite their small size. Attach it to the back of the bookmark and VOILA! Your bookmark is ready to use!


BOOKMARK RECIPE:

Stamps: Serendipity Stamps of Approval #1205E and ENJOY! #1206E
Cardstock: Royal blue metalic cardstock and gold cardstock
Ink: Versamark and White detail embossing powder
Accessories: 3 graduated sizes of Nestibilities circle dies, white detail embossing powder and small circle magnets

For more bookmarks using Serendipity Stamps, be sure to check out the rest of the Serendipity Design Team members work:

Amy Cokley
Anya Schrier
Kathie Bailey
Lynda Benden

Cheers!

Jennifer

7 comments:

  1. That is so awesome! I considered that stamp but could not come up with an idea! You rocked it! And I love that it's magnetic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very lovely. I am sure you wouldn't be surprised what winds up as a book mark around my house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a good idea. I love that is is magnetic

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea Jennifer! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fantastic Jennifer! What a GREAT idea using that stamp and it being magnetic is genius!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a clever way of making a bookmark. Love the magnetic part as much as the design.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jennifer - just had to come and say hello after reading you had newfies too! Noah is just soooo adorable. Seems no time at all since Ben was like that, but he was 3 last week so is all grown up now. I don't blog about them on Bustle & Sew, but there's lots to read about them on my other blog, Notes from a Devon Village. Am going back to read more of your blog now. Ellie x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I truly appreciate them.