Wednesday, August 3, 2011

A happy marriage...

I would like to invite you to the union of TOMATOES and RHUBARB.
A marriage of flavors you may not have expected, but most definitely will live happily everafter together.
How did Miss Tomato and Mr. Rhubarb meet? They met at the Chutney dance and ended up being the perfect flavor couple. I wanted to find some new uses for my tomatoes which I have in abundant supply and was intrigued when I saw this recipe for TOMATO -RHUBARB CHUTNEY.
I made several jars last weekend of Tomato - Rhubarb Chutney and we tried it out Monday evening on grilled chicken. Oh yes! SO GOOOOOOD!
This chutney is not overpowered by either the rhubarb or the tomatoes but the combination of the two flavors is mild and lightly sweet and the perfect side topping for grilled chicken or cheese. I know I'll be putting this tomato-rhubarb chutney on top of baked brie and crackers.

Yesterday's lunch was delish! I was making grilled swiss cheese sandwiches with fresh lettuce from the garden and it struck me. Why not spread tomato-rhubarb chutney on the grilled swiss? It was a perfectly delicious on grilled cheese sandwiches.
Tomato - Rhubarb Chutney

1 1/2 cups chopped, seeded ripe tomatoes (3 medium)
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup coarsely chopped red sweet pepper
1/3 cup dried cherries, dried cranberries, or raisins (I used dried cranberries)
1/3 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup water
1 tablespooon lime juice or lemon juice (I used lime juice)
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger or 1/4 teaspoon ground giner
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup fresh rhubarb cut into 1/2 inch pieces or 1 cup frozen cut rhubarb, thawed and drained (I had rhubarb chopped and frozen so I used frozen.)

Combine all ingredients EXCEPT the rhubarb in a large pot. Bring to boiling, stirring occasionally; reduce heat and simmer covered for 25 minutes.

Stir rhubarb into the tomato mixture and simmer (covered) for 10 minutes. Uncover and simmer 5 more minutes or until thickened.

Ladle hot chutney into hot, sterilized 1/2 pint canning jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Wipe jar rims, adjust lids.

Process filled jars in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes (start timing when the water returns to boiling). Remove jars from canner and cool on a wire rack.

Bon appétit!

Jennifer

2 comments:

  1. I've never thought of the combination of tomato and rhubarb together, but it looks very yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there no end to your talents this sounds just toooo delish.x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I truly appreciate them.