Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Gazpacho


Yesterday morning I came in from the garden with baskets full of tomatoes, sweet green bell peppers, cucumbers and patty pan squash.  Inasmuch as the Mister and I enjoy eating fresh salads and grilled veggies from the garden, I wanted to make something for supper that simply sang summer fresh, Fresh, FRESH vegetables!  The answer to the dinner dilemma?  GAZPACHO!  The name itself is  lyrical and musical to say and the combined vegetable flavors build to a crescendo of summertime and freshness.



Fresh Vegetables!   No cooking required.  Just chop, mix, chill and serve.


Cold!  Refreshing!  Each spoonful singing the praises of garden fresh vegetables.


The ingredients are simple, fresh, not cooked or processed...all natural!


The soup base is made from ingredients you probably already have in your pantry:


A simple GAZPACHO recipe:

Ingredients:
2 lb tomatoes, peeled, cored and chopped (about 6 medium tomatoes)
1 lb cucumbers, peeled, seeded, chopped (about 2 medium cucs)
1 patty pan squash, seeded, chopped
1 cup green pepper (about 1 large)
1 cup chopped onion (about 1 large onion)
1/2 cup finely chopped celery  (about 1 stalk)
5 cups tomato juice (can use vegetable juice like V-8)
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 - 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (depending on your taste for spiceness)
1 clove garlic
1 tsp salt
1/4 black pepper

Directions:

COMBINE all ingredients in a large bowl or soup pot.  Chill until very cold and serve!

THAT IS IT!  ALL YOU DO!  Gather your veggies and ingredients, chop, mix, chill and serve!

This recipe will make approximately 7 (16 oz.) pints.  I made this recipe and now in my freezer have containers of SUMMERTIME FRESHNESS to enjoy this winter.  To freeze all you have to do is:
  • LADLE soup into clean jars leaving 1/2 inch of headspace.  Place lids and bands or plastic storage caps on jars.  Twist on lids.  Label
  • FREEZE up to 1 year.

I can't sing enough praises for Gazpacho.  And I'm really happy to know that this winter I can pull out a container of it from the freezer and be reminded of the fresh taste of summer even on the dark and gloomy days of winter.

Until next time,
Cheers!

Jennifer

3 comments:

  1. Oh yummy Jennifer that looks gorgeous and all from your garden too how lucky are you xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM !!! thats my opinion !!! oohh I wish I lived in your house ,,,,, :-)

    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh Jennifer you are going to have to stop this

    a my recipe folder is exploding
    b I am on a diet

    looks yummy
    Hugs Kate xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I truly appreciate them.