Monday, March 4, 2013

Cake Dome Sunday #13: Chocolate Griddle Cakes with Cinnamon Peaches and Crème Anglaise

What's under the Cake Dome Sunday #13 was not actually a dessert that I could serve from the cake saver but it most definitely is a dessert that got huge raves from the Mister.  Last weekend I had the opportunity to attend a cooking class at Le Cordon Bleu with Food Network Chef, Anna Olson.  You can read more about my experience last week HERE.   As I mentioned, Anna Olson is my very favorite Food Network chef so actually meeting her and taking a short course with her was the height of culinary excitement for me!
 
The Mister bought me Anna Olson's cookbook, FRESH.  It is a fabulous cookbook filled with mouth watering recipes for every season and I wanted to make him something out of it for this week's dessert treat, so I chose Chef Olson's recipe for CHOCOLATE GRIDDLE CAKES with CINNAMON PEACHES and Crème Anglaise.


This simple dessert (and truly, it IS simple to make) is such a fun surprise.  Chocolate griddle cakes with chocolate chips in them, covered in peaches that you've simmered slightly in maple syrup and butter and cinnamon.  Now the Crème Anglaise was my addition to the recipe.  You certainly don't need it, but ever since the Mister and I traveled to England and savored the wonderful fruit desserts that were topped with Crème Anglaise we like to add it as an extra little pizzazz.  A dollop of whipped cream or even a small scoop of Vanilla Bean ice cream would be good too.  And truly...you don't NEED anything at all on top of the peaches if you don't want to. 


First you make the chocolate griddle cakes and keep them warm in the oven while you mix up the peaches.  The entire dessert is served warm and ohhhhhhhhh yummmmm...it is so good!  Warm chocolate and warm peaches.........nummmmm.
 
I discovered this video of Anna Olson making the Chocolate Griddle Cakes and thought you might enjoy seeing it. 



So there we have week #13 of my "What's Under the Cake Dome Sunday."  I never expected when I found the old domed cake saver in the second hand shop that it would turn into such a fun weekly surprise.  And believe you me!  The Mister has come to expect a treat each Sunday.


Until next time,
Cheers!
 
Jennifer

1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I truly appreciate them.