Happy Mother's Day! Many miles separate me and my mother (geographically speaking) but if I could deliver today's Cake Dome Sunday dessert, I'd be delivering it to my mother. I love you, Mom!
The recipe I want to share with you today is a recipe for the world's best Carrot Cake. This Carrot Cake is practically famous in West Lafayette, Indiana. That is because my dear, dear friend Cathy makes this cake as a very special birthday treat and years ago, when she and I worked together she'd make and bring this cake in to the office for those working in the office at Purdue University with her. If word got out that Cathy had made her wonderful Carrot Cake you could be sure that faculty and staff would be making an appearance in the conference room just hoping to get a slice of her fabulously moist and delicious carrot cake.
The other day I saw a carrot cake displayed in a bakery and I began reminiscing in my mind about Cathy's cake. I decided that it would be the perfect Mother's Day treat and I sent Cathy an email asking if I could share with my blog-o-sphere friends her recipe. She said she didn't mind, though it was actually her Aunt Phyllis's recipe.
Cathy's Carrot Cake
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup chopped nuts or golden raisins (optional)
- Sift together flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon in a bowl and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl combine oil and sugar until thoroughly combined. Add the grated carrots and mix well.
- Add eggs one at a time beating well between each egg.
- Gradually add the sifted dry ingredients. Add nuts (or raisins) and mix well.
- Grease and flour a tube pan or bundt pan and add the batter.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 45 - 50 minutes.
- 3 oz. of cream cheese
- 1/2 butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups powdered icing sugar
- 1 drop or two of lemon juice
This is seriously delicious cake. I know for a fact that Cathy has been asked many times to make her carrot cake for auctions and benefits as well as being a frequently requested treat for birthdays and parties. Give it a try. I know you'll love it!
HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!
I'm linking at the following parties: