Sunday, June 23, 2013

Cake Dome Sunday #26: Cherries with Lavender Sauce

Summer has arrived and with summer comes hot and humid days. Today I wanted to make a dessert that was simple to prepare and cool and refreshing to eat. Nothing fits the bill better than an ice cream sundae! Since I've been on a fresh fruit kick and my lavender is now beginning to bloom, I decided to make a simple syrup/sauce of Bing Cherries and Lavender Flowers.


If you've never cooked with edible flowers before and are a bit leary of doing so fearing that your food will taste perfume-y, don't worry.  It doesn't.  In this recipe the lavender is a background note with the bing cherries being the big, bold, brass band playing at the front of the palate. 

Cherries with Lavender Sauce

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons lavender flowers
  • 2 1/4 pounds of fresh cherries, stemmed and pitted
  • Lavender flowers for garnish
Directions:
  1. Combine the water, sugar and lavender flowers in a saucepan.  Bring to a boil over high heat and boil for 10 minutes.  Remove from heat and let it steep for another 10 minutes. 
  2. Once steeping is complete, strain the sugar/lavender syrup to remove the lavender flowers and return the syrum to the saucepan.
  3. Add the cherries to the syrup in the saucepan and bring to a boil.  Immediately remove from the heat, cover and cool to room temperature.  Once cooled put in the refrigerator and chill.
  4. Garnish with lavender flowers.


This cherry and lavender sauce would be delicious spooned over pancakes or waffles too.  Ohhhh so many ways to serves this simple sauce. 

Until next time,
Cheers!

Jennifer


 
I was feature!



I can be found sharing at these online parties:
  
Homestead Barn HopWhimsy Wednesday , Knick Of Time , Hickory Trail , Make the Scene Monday (at Alderberry Hill), From the Farm Blog Hop , A Peek Into My Paradise , A Delightsome LifeShare your Cup Thursday Have a Daily Cup,  Homework , Green Willow Pond , A Stroll Thru Life , Work It Wednesday , Savvy Southern Style , I Should Be Mopping the Floors , Common Ground Be Inspired , Simple and Sweet Fridays , Frugal Fit Family Friday Follow Along , Sweet and Savory Sunday , Sugar and Slice Sunday , This Gal Cooks Marvelous Mondays , The Silly Girl's Life "we scream for ice cream"

8 comments:

  1. Oh wow, this sounds soooooooo good. I need to make this one for sure.
    I would love for you to link to my 170th Inspire Me Tuesday party that is ongoing. http://www.astrollthrulife.net/2013/06/170th-inspire-me-tuesday.html Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I want to try this. I love cherries! I have only ever used my lavender in cookies. This is as pretty as it is refreshing! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer, just hopping back to let you know that I am featuring you at Share Your Cup this week.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really wonderful!
    I have a bag full of lavender flowers, and I'd looooooooove to use some and make this sauce :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just wanted to let you know that I featured your wonderful project on homework. Thanks so much for sharing it on The Inspiration Board. Have a great weekend!

    carolyn
    homework &
    DETAILS

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jennifer I just love cooking with Lavender and have never heard of this - will surely give it a try! I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I truly appreciate them.