A couple of weeks ago it was the Mister's birthday and he requested a Chocolate Cream Pie in lieu of a Chocolate Cake. He that asketh, receiveth! A Chocolate Cream Pie he would have.
I'd just returned from my trip to Indiana where I'd purchased the Hoosier Mama Book of Pie, by Paula Haney and the picture of the chocolate cream pie in the book was what enticed the Mister to make his decision. And it was good! Ohhhhh so good. The chocolate is creamy and smooth. This pie doesn't use meringue, but rather has a whipped cream topping. Nothing says chocolate cream pie like this one says it......oh so smooth, rich and creamy.
Chocolate Cream Pie
- 1 single crust, blind baked pie shell
- 2 cups whole milk, divided
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 5 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, roughly chopped
- 5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste
- pinch Kosher salt
- Melted bittersweet chocolate, for coating the pie shell
- Lightly sweetened whipped cream
- dark chocolate curls or shavings for garnish
- Combine 1 1/2 cups of the milk and the cream in a medium, heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium=high heat, stirring occasionally so the milk does not scorch on the bottom of the pan.
- Meanwhile, whisk the remaining 1/2 cup of milk into the cornstarch to make a smooth slurry.
- Place the eggs into a medium, deep heatproof bow. Whisk in the sugar until well combined. Slowly pour in the slurry and whisk until smooth. Gradually whisk in the hot milk mixture, stirring until well combined.
- Pour everything back into the saucepan and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture starts to thicken and just begins to boil. Whisk at a boil for 2 more minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and add both of the chocolates and the butter, Whisk until everything is melted and well incorporated. Whisk in the vanilla paste and salt.
- Pour the pastry cream through a fine mesh strainer into a heat proof bowl. Place a piece of plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the pastry cream and gently smooth with your fingers. This will prevent a skin from forming on the top of the pastry cream.
- Chill the pastry cream in the refrigerator until it is firm, about 2 hours.
- Brush the inside of the empty pie shell with melted bittersweet chocolate. Place in the refrigerator until the chocolate cools and sets, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the pastry cream from the refrigerator and whisk vigorously until smooth and light. Scoop the pastry cream into the prepared pie shell, smoothing the top with a spoon or offset spatula. Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of the pie and chill in the refrigerator until firm, about 1 hour.
- Remove the plastic wrap and top the pie with the lightly sweetened whipped cream, making sure the pastry cream is completely covered or it will dry out.
- Garnish with chocolate curls or shavings.
Recipe source: The Hoosier Mama Book of Pie, by Paula Haney
Until next time,
This post was featured:
I can be found sharing at these online parties:
That pie looks very delicious. I'll have to try it soon. Thank you for the recipe!ReplyDelete
Ohhh Jennifer this looks scrummy xxReplyDelete
Umm...be right over!ReplyDelete
Chocolate lovers dream Jennifer! Can you believe that I don't love chocolate? Still, looks delicious. Thanks for sharing it with SYC.ReplyDelete
Your pie looks amazing - I am delighted to share that you will be featured in this week's Home and Garden Thursday, I appreciate you sharing,ReplyDelete
Oh my! Can I come to your house for dessert? Thank you for sharing at our TGIF Link Party at A Peek Into My Paradise. I hope you will be back to link up another awesome post this week!ReplyDelete
Cathy @ http://apeekintomyparadise.blogspot.com/