Saturday, July 7, 2012

Beets


This is the time of the year when I literally squeal with happiness when I go to my garden.  It is time for me to begin to harvest the first garden fresh vegetables.  Amongst the many vegetables I have growing this year, I am trying out a couple of new vegetables to see how they grow up here in Canada.  One new veggie that is a first for me is beets!  Yesterday, I was thinning out the beet patch and pulled these two...the first beets of the season.

Waste not - want not!  I decided to roast these two little beauties and tonight we had our first cold beet salad of the season.  GUARANTEED!  There will be many more beet salads on  our plates.


The salad is a simple green salad with fresh greens, sliced roasted beets, a little onion (optional) and goat cheese.  The dressing that I served the salad with was light and delicious.  So much so that the Mister actually licked his plate.  Yummy!

Beet Salad with Goat Cheese

Roast beets in the oven.  When cool, removed peel and chop or slice.
Arrange a bed of fresh mixed baby salad green on plate and layer beets and goat cheese on top.

Dressing:
1 tablespoon maple syrup
2 tablespoons orange juice concentrate
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil

Mix the dressing and chill until ready to serve and then spoon dressing, as much as desired, over salad.  Enjoy!

I've been saving a wide variety of recipes of all types from salads, soups, pickled...well you name it.  Anything with beets.  It will be a couple more weeks before my beets are coming in in larger quantity but I just had to share this tastey cold beet salad with goat cheese that the Mister and I thoroughly enjoyed.

Cheers!

Jennifer

2 comments:

  1. Those are good looking beets too. I am about ready to get all my canning stuff out for the season. Beans, pears and carrots are on the list. I have plenty of pickled beets still from last year. ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oohh I can have this !!!! :-) YUM !!! :-)

    i wish we lived closer and I could come for dinner ,,,, :-)

    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I truly appreciate them.