Thursday, March 15, 2018

My New First Ladies arrived this morning

I don't generally expect telephone calls at 8:00 a.m. but this morning the caller I.D. on my phone showed "Post Office" as the caller and I eagerly answered the phone. 
 
Post Office:  "Hello?  Is this Jennifer?"
Me: "Yes it is."
Post Office:  "I've got some birds here for you."
Me:  "I'll be right there to pick them up."
Post Office:  "See you soon."
 
 

Of course it snowed last night AGAIN and my car wasn't in the garage so after a quick brush off of the snow I set off to the post office.  YIKES!  My gas gauge showed nothing!  I was running on fumes.  So, a quick stop at the gas station and I was back on the road to the post office.
 
When I opened the post office doors the sound of "peep, peep, peep, chirp, chirp, PEEP!" filled the room.  So many people in my town are getting their new baby ducks and chickens.
 
I collected my box of ducklings and hurried home to get them under the heat lamp and acquainted with Daisy Mae and Dolly Parton who arrived a week ago.
 


Yep!  This is how chicks and ducks arrive through the post.  Inside the box are special warmers so that the day old chicks and ducklings stay warm.  My sweet barn cat, Masha, was the postal inspector.  After a quick sniff I took the ducklings inside the house to their brooder.

 

JUST LOOK at how much bigger a one week old duckling is compared to a day old duckling!  Ducks grow quickly.
 
I removed the babies leg bands, dipped their beaks in sugar water and introduced them to food.  They went at it like...well...like ducks to water.  *Smiles*
 
My new girls are:
Melania Trump and Michelle Obama: they are Welsh Harlequin Ducks
Martha Washington and Mamie Eisenhower: they are Pekin Ducks
Daisy Mae and Dolly Parton:  Silver Appleyard Ducks.
 
Everyone is doing great and getting along well.  In three weeks I'll be getting my final shipment of ducklings.
 
Until next time,
 
Jennifer
 
Quack!  Quack!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I truly appreciate them.