Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Asian Plum Sauce


The fruit markets are getting in the most beautiful variety of fruits and last weekend the plums were just too tempting to pass up.  I love fresh plums and was considering canning some so we could enjoy them in the wintertime. 


As I thought more about canning the plums it occured to me that these beauties would make a lovely plum sauce.  Yummmmm...plum sauce for ribs, pork, chicken, spring rolls and as a dipping sauce or a marinade.  YES!  I would make plum sauce.  And so I did.

Asian Plum Sauce

Yields approximate six 1/2 pint jars

Ingredients:
  • 4 cloves finely minced garlic
  • 1/2 ounce fresh ginger, minced
  • 1 small onion, minced
  • 1 cup brown sugar (I used 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup honey)
  • 2 cups water
  • 1/8 cup teriyaki sauce
  • 1 teasoon sesame oil
  • 1/8 cup soy sauce
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed dried hot pepper flakes
  • 3 lbs plums, pitted and chopped
  • the juice of 1 freshly squeezed lemon
  • the juice of 1 freshly squeezed orange
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1 tablespoon water
Directions:
  1. Place the first 12 ingredients into a large pot and bring ingredients to a boil.  Once boiling, turn down the heat to a simmer and simmer for 30 minutes stirring occasionally to prevent sticking to the bottom of the pot.
  2. After 30 minutes of simmering, pour the plum mixture into a blender or food processor and process just long enough to create a smooth texture.  If you prefer a chunky sauce you may omit this step.  I like the smooth texture so I did process in my food processor.
  3. Return plum mixture to the pot and return to a slow simmer. 
  4. Mix water and cornstarch together in a small bowl and add it to the simmering plum mixture.
  5. Simmer until thickened.  (Depending upon how much your plum sauce cooked down and thickened on its own you may not need to add the cornstarch/water.  I used just a little because my plum sauce was thickening nicely and only needed a small amount more of thickening.)
  6. Pour into sterilized jars and place into a water bath for 10 minutes.
  7. Remove jars from the water bath and cool undisturbed for 24 hours.  Label and store in a cool dark place until ready to use.


This plum sauce is full of plum good plum flavor and is tangy with the ginger and garlic and just a wee bit spicy.  If you like a spicy-er plum sauce you could always add more ginger and hot pepper flakes.  It is fabulous as a dipping sauce with spring rolls.
 
 
And this evening I made spare ribs marinated in the plum sauce.
 
This plum sauce was very fast to make and put up.  The recipe and process is not complicated at all. I know this winter we'll especially enjoy having this flavorfully delicious plum sauce to bring a little spring fruit fresh flavor to the table when it isn't normally in season.
 
Until next time,
Cheers!
 
Jennifer
 
 
 
I can be found sharing at these online parties:
 
 
Homestead Barn HopWhimsy Wednesday , Knick Of Time , Hickory Trail , Make the Scene Monday (at Alderberry Hill), From the Farm Blog Hop , A Peek Into My Paradise , A Delightsome LifeShare your Cup Thursday Have a Daily Cup,  Homework , Green Willow Pond , A Stroll Thru Life , Work It Wednesday , Savvy Southern Style , I Should Be Mopping the Floors , Common Ground Be Inspired , Simple and Sweet Fridays , Frugal Fit Family Friday Follow Along , Sweet and Savory Sunday , Sugar and Slice Sunday

7 comments:

  1. Your sauce looks amazing! I'm huge fan of Asian flavors. Thank you so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays. We love having you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sauce looks amazing! I'm a huge fan of Asian flavors so this is perfect! Thanks so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays. We love having you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sauce has a wonderful color. Thank so much for sharing it at the Farm Blog Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer, your sauce looks yummy. Never thought of making plum sauce. My sis usually has lots of plums on her tree. Thinking they froze this year. I bought a few at the store to eat. Love them too! I am pinning this to try some year when she has lots of plums. Thanks for sharing the recipe with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  5. I TOTALLY want this sauce like RIGHT NOW! I make my own cheese wontons at home - I don't eat crab- and ate using bottled sauces for them! This totally fits the bill! Thanks for sharing at the frugal fit family linky party! Be sure to swing back by and see if you were featured!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! This looks wonderful and something I would love to try! Pinning it for later! Thanks for sharing at the Friday Follow Along and hope to see you again this week at www.leahinspired.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I truly appreciate them.