Summer has arrived and with summer comes hot and humid days. Today I wanted to make a dessert that was simple to prepare and cool and refreshing to eat. Nothing fits the bill better than an ice cream sundae! Since I've been on a fresh fruit kick and my lavender is now beginning to bloom, I decided to make a simple syrup/sauce of Bing Cherries and Lavender Flowers.
If you've never cooked with edible flowers before and are a bit leary of doing so fearing that your food will taste perfume-y, don't worry. It doesn't. In this recipe the lavender is a background note with the bing cherries being the big, bold, brass band playing at the front of the palate.
Cherries with Lavender Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons lavender flowers
- 2 1/4 pounds of fresh cherries, stemmed and pitted
- Lavender flowers for garnish
- Combine the water, sugar and lavender flowers in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat and boil for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let it steep for another 10 minutes.
- Once steeping is complete, strain the sugar/lavender syrup to remove the lavender flowers and return the syrum to the saucepan.
- Add the cherries to the syrup in the saucepan and bring to a boil. Immediately remove from the heat, cover and cool to room temperature. Once cooled put in the refrigerator and chill.
- Garnish with lavender flowers.
This cherry and lavender sauce would be delicious spooned over pancakes or waffles too. Ohhhh so many ways to serves this simple sauce.
Until next time,
I can be found sharing at these online parties:
Awesome pudding there!! xReplyDelete
Oh wow, this sounds soooooooo good. I need to make this one for sure.ReplyDelete
I would love for you to link to my 170th Inspire Me Tuesday party that is ongoing. http://www.astrollthrulife.net/2013/06/170th-inspire-me-tuesday.html Hugs, Marty
Simple and gorgeous.ReplyDelete
Oh I want to try this. I love cherries! I have only ever used my lavender in cookies. This is as pretty as it is refreshing! Thanks for sharing with SYC.ReplyDelete
Jennifer, just hopping back to let you know that I am featuring you at Share Your Cup this week.ReplyDelete
This is really wonderful!ReplyDelete
I have a bag full of lavender flowers, and I'd looooooooove to use some and make this sauce :)
I just wanted to let you know that I featured your wonderful project on homework. Thanks so much for sharing it on The Inspiration Board. Have a great weekend!ReplyDelete
Jennifer I just love cooking with Lavender and have never heard of this - will surely give it a try! I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,ReplyDelete