Sunday, June 2, 2013

Cake Dome Sunday #23: Crumble Topped Rhubarb Pie


I've got to say it, the Mister is happy!  Happy!  Happy!  Happy!  Today for "what's under the cake dome" I've finally made him his all-time favorite pie!  He is fanatical about Rhubarb Pie!  This is my own special recipe that I've created combining the best elements of some of my favorite baker's rhubarb pie recipes.  I love the crumble topping which combines rolled oats, spices, brown sugar and butter.  The pie filling is tart yet sweet (how can that be?).   The butter crust is tender, flakey and as good as a butter cookie. 

 
My crumble topped Rhubarb pie is not for the faint of heart.  It is a thick deepdish style fruit pie that capitalizes on the distinct flavor and pizazz of rhubarb.  The Mister is very specific when he requests rhubarb pie!  He does NOT want to find strawberries in it.  Nope!  Nada to strawberries.  He says to put them in strawberry pie and leave his rhubarb as it is.  *tee hee hee*


Last summer I could not find one stalk of rhubarb anywhere.  The Mister was not happy.  But the other day I spied rhubarb and a local market and I bought nearly all they had in their bin. 


Then I set about washing and chopping the rhubarb and mixing the pie filling. 


Rhubarb pie might not win the "pretty as a picture" award, but I think it is most definitely a flavor winner.   I think this is the best pie I make.  At least that is what the mister says. 

If you prefer a double crust pie or lattice topped Rhubarb pie, just leave off the crumble topping and put a crust on top.  This is one time, though, I like the crumble.  Here is my recipe:
 
Crumble Topped Rhubarb Pie

Filling Ingredients:
  • 6 cups chopped rhubarb
  • 1 3/4 cups white sugar
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 3 Tablespoons unsalted melted butter
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Crumble Topping Ingredients:
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/3 cup rolled oats
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
  • a pinch of salt
  • 1/2 cup of chilled unsalted butter
Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
  2. Roll out your favorite pie dough recipe to slightly under 1/4 thick.  Line your pie plate with the pie dough and pinch or decorate the edge (I like to make a twisted rope edge) of the dough in your pie plate.  Sprinkle the bottom of the pie dough 2 tablespoons of rolled oats.  Put your prepared pie pastry in the refrigerator to chill while you are preparing the filling and crumble topping.
  3. Filling:  Place the rhubarb in a large bowl.  In a smaller bowl, stir together the eggs, melted butter and the vanilla.  In another small bowl, mix together sugar and flour and then stir the flour/sugar mixture into the egg/butter mixture until well blended.  Add this to the rhubarb and mix it very well.
  4. Crumble topping: Stir the flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom and salt to combine.  Cut in the chilled butter until the mixture is a rough crumbly texture. 
  5. Remove the prepared pie pastry that you've chilled from the refrigerator and spoon the rhubarb filling mixture into the pastry. 
  6. Sprinkle the crumble topping over the rhubarb filling.
  7. Bake in preheated 425 degree oven for 20 minutes.  After 20 minutes reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F and continue to bake for 40 minutes.

This recipe will make 1 9-inch deep dish pie.


Until next time,
Cheers!
 
Jennifer


I was featured at:


 
A Peek Into My Paradise


I'm sharing at these parties:

Hickory Trail
Make the Scene Monday (at Alderberry Hill)
A Peek Into My Paradise
From the Farm Blog Hop
Share your Cup Thursday Have a Daily Cup 
A Stroll Thru Life  "Inspire me Tuesday"
 

4 comments:

  1. So excited to see this recipe! I added rhubarb to our garden for my mother in law and it is growing like crazy! I honestly had no idea what to do with the stuff!! Thanks for sharing at the Friday Follow Along at www.frugalfitfamily.com!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good! I am a new follower from southern charm. I would love for you to check out my blog and hopefully follow me back. Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum! I just picked a boatload of rhubarb out of my garden today. This sounds like a winner! Thank you for sharing it at What We Accomplished Wednesdays. Have a great weekend!

    Hugs,
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh boy! Another recipe for rhubarb...I am in heaven! I must try this! Visiting from Be Inspired and following via GFC!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I truly appreciate them.