This is a BIG week for holidays. Here in Canada July 1st is Canada Day. In the U.S. of A. on July 4th, Independence Day is celebrated. The celebrations in both countries are much the same: cookouts with burgers and hotdogs, cole slaw, potato salad and DESSERTS!
In celebration of Canada Day tomorrow, I've made for The Mister homemade ice cream sandwiches. These ice cream sandwiches are made with homemade vanilla bean ice cream and my mother's BEST chocolate chip cookie recipe. Get your pen and paper out, or in this modern era I should say COPY and PASTE this recipe. It is sooooooooooooo good!
Vanilla Bean Ice CreamIngredients:
- 1 cup of whole milk
- 1 cup of heavy cream (whipping cream)
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 8 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- Combine the milk and cream in a saucepan and add the vanilla bean. Bring to a boil, then remove from the heat and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Using a wire whisk, beat the egg yolks and sugar together in a bowl for 2-3 minutes, until thick and pale, then whisk in the warm milk mixture. **NOTE: don't use an electric mixer. Whisk by hand. An electric mixer will incorporate too much air with the eggs and sugar.**
- Scrap the seeds from the vanilla bean into the mixture. Remove the bean pod.
- Wash the pan and pour the mixture into it. Stir over very low heat for 5 - 10 minutes until thickened. To test, run a finger through the mixture across the back of the wooden spoon - if it leaves a clear line, the custard is ready.
- Pour the custard into a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and allow to cool completely in the refrigerator for at least three hours but preferably overnight.
- Once cooled, pour the mixture into your ice cream maker and freeze according to your ice cream manufacturer's directions.
- Remove the ice cream from the ice cream maker and spread it into a 9" X 9" pan and place in the freezer to firm it up.
Mom's BEST Chocolate Chip CookiesIngredients:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 cup butter (I use 1/2 cup Crisco and 1/2 cup butter)
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces chocolate chips
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the butter, sugar and brown sugar until creamy. Beat in the peanut butter. Next beat in the eggs and vanilla.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt. Slowly mix this into the butter/sugar mixture just until blended. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Scoop large spoonfuls onto a chilled, parchment lined baking sheet. I use a cookie dough scoop. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
To assemble the ice cream sandwiches remove the ice cream from the freezer and using a biscuit cutter, cut circles of ice cream from the pan and place between two chocolate chip cookies. Wrap the ice cream sandwiches individually and put back into the freezer until you are ready to serve.
Until next time,
I was Featured:
I can be found sharing at these online parties: