Saturday, June 25, 2011

Simple Sleeveless Top

Yesterday we got a MUCH needed downpour of rain. A real gullywasher! My garden needed the rain and since I was confined inside for the day, I got the opportunity to sew. I love rainy day sewing! This is the simple sleeveless top I whipped up yesterday afternoon and I am so pleased with it. It will be perfect to wear with black slacks or skirt on hot summer nights when I want to wear something a little dressier than a tank top. Are you drooling over the fabric? I wish computers had touch sensory because this GORGEOUS fabric called Bryant Park and designed by Khristian A. Howell for Anthology Fabrics feels like silk or satin. The heft is just enough that I don't feel like it is 'see through' and yet it is lightweight and cool to wear. The pattern I used for this top is a free pattern from Colette Patterns and this particular simple sleeveless top is called "The Sorbetto Top." Don't you love the design, how it flows, the pleat in the front and the simplicity of the pattern. This is a two piece pattern (front and back), has front darts, a center pleat that you can dress up or leave plain if you choose, and the shoulders and armholes are bound with bias tape. You can make your own or purchase a package from your local fabric shop. Are you REALLY loving this pattern now that you know how simple it is? You can download it FREE HERE! <----Click
I turned my top inside out so you can see how simple it is to construct. I didn't want any bulk at the shoulder seams so I used french seams (don't know if you can see that in the photo though). For the side seams I used a simple serged finish. All you have to do to construct this top is staystitch the neckline, insert the box pleat on the front, sew the darts, shoulder and side seams (finish as you wish), bind the neck and armholes and hem. VOILA! You are finished. It takes all of a couple hours TOPS to make. The top doesn't have any closures. Just slip it on over your head. It is loose fitting enough that it easy to get into and yet not so floppy as to be revealing or sloppy. And the pattern sizing was perfect. I'm not the easiest person to fit and this pattern fits me perfectly. I didn't have to make any adjustments at all. If you are looking for a rainy day project and something new to wear, check out your fabric stash and see what you might have onhand and then download the free Colette pattern for this Sorbetto Top. I'm going to make another one this week using a different fabric and make my own contrasting seam binding for a whole new look.

Until next time,
Cheers!

Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I truly appreciate them.