Monday, June 11, 2012

Spinach Salad with strawberry-poppyseed dressing


One of the best things about having a garden is being able to go out and harvest vegetables for dinner.  Tonight I wanted a fresh green spinach salad so I cut some fresh spinach from my garden and added a little English cucumber, grape tomato slices, feta cheese, sliced mushrooms and just a few blueberries on top.  The Mister and I eat a lot of spinach, whether freshly washed from the garden, cooked and hot or added to pasta dishes and soups.  We should look like Popeye the Sailor Man for as much spinach as we eat.  hee hee hee

And as yummy as this salad is undressed, I had a few strawberries that I needed to use up so I made a fresh Strawberry-Poppyseed Dressing for our salad.  This is soooooooooooo good!  Easy to whip up quickly in the blender and you really can use whatever fruit you like.  I've made it with pears, blueberries and even raspberries and it is always delicious.

YUMMY STRAWBERRY-POPPYSEED DRESSING

1 clove garlic
1/8 slice of a small purple onion (or any kind of onion you prefer)
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup fresh strawberries
1/3 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil  (or as they say, EVOO)
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon poppy seeds

Directions:
Place all ingredients except te poppyseeds into a blender.  end until entirely pureed.  Stir in the poppyseeds.  Sever immediately over your favorite salad.  You can store this dressing in the refrigerator for up to 48 hours.

Enjoy!


Until next time,
Cheers!

Jennifer

1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I truly appreciate them.