Friday, November 11, 2011

Peach and Blueberry Cobbler with Créme Anglaise

Temperatures are plummeting as we get a pre-winter blast of cold air and for me that means I'm serving the mister hearty meals followed by warm dessert. Last night's meat loaf, carrots and broccoli with buttered egg noodles was filling and good on a cold night but we both wanted something sweet and warm for dessert. Meals like this make me happy that I can pull from the larder a jar of peaches that I canned when they were ripe and juicy and freshly picked blueberries I froze last summer. MMmmmm...peaches and blueberries quickly made into a hot Peach - Blueberry cobbler.
A couple of years ago on our trip to England for my son and daughter-in-laws wedding I made a delightful discovery about British cuisine! My English family and friends serve this wonderful, thick and oh-so-delicious créme anglaise over cobblers, fruit crisps and even chocolate cake. The mister and I were sceptical at first but after one bite of dessert with this heavenly creme, we were hooked!
OK...admittedly I cheat a bit when I make créme anglaise. I'm not sure if Bird's créme anglaise custard powder is available world wide but here in Canada it is the fast and easy way to whip up this heavenly creme.
This is my favorite peach cobbler recipe. The "cobbler" part is light and cake-like and the fruit on the bottom is warmed in the oven prior to adding the cobbler, giving it time for the fruit juice to thicken and not cause the cobbler to be mushy.

PEACH - BLUEBERRY COBBLER

INGREDIENTS:
1 qt jar of canned peaches (if you use fresh peaches you'll need about 8 peaches, peeled, pitted and chopped)
1 cup blueberries
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons cornstarch

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
1/4 cup boiling water

3 tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 cup ground pecans or walnuts (optional - the mister prefers I don't add them but I like them!)

DIRECTIONS:

1.) Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 C)

2.) In a large bowl, combine the first 7 ingredients to make the fruit mixture for the bottom. Toss to coat evenly and pour into a 2 quart baking dish. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes.

3.) While your fruit is baking, in a large bowl combine flour, 1/4 cup white sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, baking powder, salt. Blend in butter with your fingertips or a pastry blender until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. Stir in the water just until combined.

4.) Remove fruit mixture from the oven and drop spoonfuls of topping over the top. Sprinkle the top of the entire cobbler with the sugar/cinnamon (nut) mixture. Bake until the topping is golden brown (about 25 minutes).

ENJOY!!

Jennifer

5 comments:

  1. The cobbler sounds delicious! I've never mixed peaches and blueberries, but I'll have to try it. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be on the next plane lol,mmmmmm so yummy.xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh Jennifer what a tease you are lol.. this looks soooo delish..& NO I haven't seen this Birds product ANYWHERE in UK & believe me I love cooking..gonna HAVE to hunt this down now..thanks for sharing

    smiles Christine x

    ReplyDelete
  4. ACK... Another one that I need to try. YUMO!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I truly appreciate them.